LIFESTYLE ADVICE FOR HYPERTENSIVES
• Cut down on salt – eat no more than 6g of salt a day (a teaspoon). And that’s not just what you add at the table – around 70% of the salt in our diets has already been added to the food we eat, so watch out for hidden salt. Reducing salt can lower BP by 2-8mmHg.
• Get your five a day – eat at least five, ideally seven to nine, portions of fruit and vegetables a day. This can lower BP by 7mmHg or more.
• Be as active as you can – take 30 minutes of aerobic exercise five times a week. Can lower BP by 4-9mmHg.
• Find and reach your ideal weight. Can lower BP by 5-10mmHg per 10kg lost.
• Keep an eye on alcohol – no more than two to three units a day for women, and three to four units a day for men. Can lower BP by 2-4mmHg.